Pages

November 13, 2008

We have too much stuff.



One more reason NOT to buy more unneeded stuff this holiday season.


This was also in the back of my mind when I decided to "skip Christmas" (only the shopping part) this year.


If you have a bit of time watch the video on this website Story of Stuff.com .

It shows us, in an "in your face" kind of way what we are doing to our world since we are such huge consumers.


It is EYE OPENING.

All our "stuff" goes somewhere when we are done with it......can you guess where it goes?
And really the disposal of our stuff is not even the worst part, the manufacturing of our stuff is even worse.

Please pass on the information to everyone you know. Consider it your good deed for the day.

I just did mine.

FYI, I accidentally typed in the wrong address looking for the story of stuff.com.

I may be blinded. I think I saw that lady again from the store holding her cell phone in her cleavage....only there was no cell phone. or clothing. Yikes. The Internet can be so flippin' dirty.

9 comments:

  1. I totally get this and it really bothers me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...that is interesting!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes... that was ROUGH. Gaaah. I hate having to think about these thing but... we need to think about these things.

    I'm all about the reuse and recycle. I want to strangle so many food manufacturers when I stroll down the grocery store aisle, it's not even funny. A plastic containter for ONE serving of microwave soup? Are they serious??

    *stumbles off soapbox*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It bothers me too. When I buy something I often ask the store to keep the box that it came in and I have written to manufacturers before to complain about packaging and how excessive it is. Plus we are flooded with STUFF. We don't need it. We should make a conscious effort to cut back.
    good post Suz
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the PSA...we can be very wasteful.
    One good thing, I know we are planting trees and replenishing our forests faster than we can text a message on our cell phones. In other words, we are becoming more responsible in lots of areas.
    I spent many years working for an EMA agency...and boy did we have guidelines. Things are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK now you tell me. I was realllllly bad today ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. NPR did a story on this today--the sick relationship between us and China. They're ruining their environment to make us stuff and we're ruining our credit by buying their stuff.

    Something's got to change soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good girl, Suz! SPREAD THE MESSAGE! If we don't change it, we're leaving a big mess for our kids and grandkids to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff. I'll check it out.
    Love the last bit--I think I get the picture...and a big THANKS for that!

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.