Pages

November 09, 2008

She said WHAT????

I want to preface this post saying that I hope it in no way offends anyone. That is not my intention. It is just another funny story from my funny 12 year old. Seriously, I could write a book alone on all the funny things my girls have said over the years….

A bit of background. Where we have lived for the past 11 years is a lovely town. It is however lacking in cultural diversity.
The elementary school the girls both attended was predominantly Caucasian, with Hispanic being next then African American.
No matter to my kids, they love everyone. They have been raised very open minded in our house and they don’t see color, culture, orientation as factors to judge a person.

When Lindsay was about 5 we were watching the news one day.
A story came on about something to do with racism.
This brought up yet another discussion on why in the world are there so many mean people out there.....

I wish the innocence of a child could get through to the most ignorant of people...the world would be a much better place.

She was so concerned as to why someone would not like someone else because they looked different.
I agreed with her and from there she stated clearly and matter of fact that her very best friend in the world was African American.

I told her how wonderful that was.
And then I thought about it and realized she did not have any kids in her class that were African American.
I asked her for her bff’s name. She said: “Carly.”

I chuckled a bit and told her in the kindest way I could that Carly was not actually African American, she is Italian.

You see, Carly has been blessed with the most beautiful tan skin tone in the world.
(seriously jealous here)
Lindsay said, well I don’t care, I love her even if she looks different than Me.

Fast forward to present day.

Since then both the girls have changed schools and are exposed to many different ethnicities these days.
They both love it. They have friends of every color.
I love that they embrace everyone and don’t have preconceived notions about different cultures.
Although, I think they favor gay people over everyone else, but that is another post for another time.

This week Lindsay came home from school and said to me:

“I just realized today that Barack Obama is the first African American president. EVER.”

I had quite a surprised look on my face thinking that I had kept her under a rock for part of her life....
and I said “really?”

She said: “yes. I don’t want to sound stupid or mean at all, but I really thought that President Andrew Jackson was also of African American descent.“

I laughed so hard. That was the end of the discussion.

Today, as I was going about my day I pondered this again. I was wondering why she thought that Andrew Jackson could have been black.
The only thing I can come up with is the only folks she knows of with the last name Jackson is Michael and Janet.
I love Janet's music and I sing her quite well in the car....
Seeing Michael Jackson on TV always perplexed the kids.....


The resemblence is uncanny.

17 comments:

  1. How funny! I think the resemblance is scarey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL and don't forget Jesse Jackson!

    I am back tonight after some tweaking today - please come by and see my 1 finger salute to ol' F'Tard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...wait...isn't Michael technically white now? That story made me laugh OUT LOUD! I may have mentioned once or twice that my family is 100% Italian, so we are no strangers to the connection. My mother used to get especially dark in the summer when she was a child, and her family used to call her a not-so-nice knickname. They told her that my grandpa found her begging on a corner and felt sorry for her, so he brought her home. (Please keep in mind that my mother is in her 60s, so times where a bit different then.)

    When my parents bought the house we grew up in (and the house they still live in now) we were the only family on the block that wasn't Irish! There was a boy who lived down the street who used to call me Brownie for years, but I always assumed he meant like the dessert. It seriously wasn't until I was an adult that I realized what he really meant! Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except...Michael is not African-American...he is Plastic-American. Not that I am judging or anything. There are lots of Plastic-Americans running around. While the transformation of original skin tone in MJ's case is rare, the more obvious clues to spot a Plastic-American would be the plumped lips, plumper breasts, and inability to register normal emotions with their faces like other races. I believe Joan Rivers is their official mascot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think about when I showed my oldest daughter, she's now 27, a photo of the Jackson 5. I pointed out Michael and she told me that it couldn't be Michael Jackson, because Michael Jackson was white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am screaming and laughing out loud, you funny, funny girl! Thank you for making my evening. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frightening, isn't it? When jack-o lost his colour, he also lost his soul and his music... coincidence? I think not!

    *shakes fist at MJ for messing it all up*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your girls should run for office one day. We need more of them in this world (or country!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember a couple of years ago my kids saw a picture of Michael Jackson back in his Jackson 5 days and they DIDN'T BELIEVE that he was the same person as the Michael Jackson that is known now. Kind of a sad commentary, really.... why did he want to change his skin color (and his gender??!)

    Cute story, Suz! Give your adorable girls a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL... love the comparison of Michael and Andrew... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. She was cute then and she's even cuter now! I love that they are being raised sooooo well. There is a great program running on the History Channel about all of the presidents and it's really fun. Love you, love your stories. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a hoot! :D
    Love the new look on your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bwahahaha! Who knew??

    My daughter and her friends also have an affinity for gay boys!! She attends a rather large school, and her group of friends is as diverse as they come. She will be so much better prepared for life than I was. I went to a tiny school and was never exposed to other cultures. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is seriously funny! SO hilarious : ). Michael does favor him for sure : ). I love that kids don't see color. One time a kid in Kaishon's class was calling him a brownie. Kaish was telling me the story and I said, "Honey, I am so sorry someone called you that name because of your skin color." Kaishon was like "What? I thought he was calling me that because we both like to eat brownies." Innocence delights me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmm.

    speechless on this one.

    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA! The false connections we make sometimes are so funny.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.