Pages

November 06, 2008

Thanksgiving Memory Lane....


Thanksgiving is my MOST favorite holiday.
I suppose as kid, Christmas would be at the top of the list.

Since I have been an adult (well adult age anyway) I really look forward to Thanksgiving with enthusiasm.

It has all the elements of a fantastically perfect holiday. It is full of Pros and low on Cons.

Pros's

*Family and friends get together

*good food

*a few days off from work/school

*NO GIFT BUYING!!!! ( I should have put that at the top)


CONS:

*Nada. Zip. Zilch. negative. (unless you happen to be Tom Turkey)

We have hosted it at our house for many years and I enjoy the chaos.

I don't care how many we have over, the more the merrier. I love it.



We have had from 12-20 people and it is always a great day.

*On a side note....I am having serious issues getting into the spirit of Christmas.

I know it is only November, but I was dreading it already last month. More to come on that...I have an idea. I may start a revolution of sorts....



Ok, back to Thanksgiving Memory lane

Back in 2006 we actually left our home and rented a house up in the North Carolina Mountains. I was a bit concerned it was not going to be as nice, with us NOT being at our home.....

But, it was a fantastic holiday.

We picked up my Mom in GA on the way up. My Aunt, Uncle and Cousin met us up there.


The day we pulled into town, the heavens started dropping little teeny tiny snow flurries for us. How nice, right? It was the first time the girls have seen snow and they seemed less than enthused about it all (when are we getting out of this car??)


It ended up warming up quite a bit and was a fabulous week away.

This was the view from the rental house....


I was insistent on getting a good picture of my three children for our Christmas card too....This was a winner that year.



We set a beautiful table as usual...and I had to take a pic. Not very good lighting.
The girls collected leaves and we wrote the place setting names on them with a gold leaf pen.


The only down side to this Thanksgiving is that I forgot one of the most important elements of our Thanksgiving table. I nearly ruined Thanksgiving by forgetting these very important peeps.

That is our joke around the house...you ruined our Thanksgiving.....what ever. ;)


My Cousin Patrick, Linds and Lo.



We have a piece of property in the area, and we enjoy visiting it. This is OUR rock. That is what the girls say anyway....we are making payments on that rock and the land under it.
If business does not pick up by a gazillion percent we very well may be living under/next to/on top of that very rock.
Nice views though.

I will be boring you all with more Thanksgiving memories over the next few weeks. I may even share my most PERFECT turkey recipe....I stole it from Martha herself.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Girl, I love Turkey Day too. Every 7 or sometimes 8 years, I get my Birthday on that day. It was last year and it was great, here in our new place on The Prairie. Looking forward to your memories as the month rolls on. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really do the holidays right! I wish I could be so gung ho about decorating.

    Your place in NC looks beautiful. We spent some time last winter/spring around Boone. It was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have the dog with you in these pictures! That's how we are, too.
    The table looks so beautiful. I love Thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanksgiving is also my favorite Holiday. Your vista is great from the rock! My favorite picture is the one of the three girls....Cocoa is such a ham!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thanksgiving, too...love getting together just to BE together, and give thanks. Great photos of everyone and everything. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of the year..I love it! I am hosting this year and already starting to think what my table will look like..so fun!

    What wonderful photos!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "rock" in NC is lovely! The mountains are especially beautiful this time of year.

    We will be missing THE key ingredient at Thanksgiving this year - Grandma. I can't imagine celebrating without her, but we are going to do our best. I'm sure she will be there supervising the dessert prepartation. To her, THAT was the most important part of the holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Thanksgiving, too. You get to eat too much, sleep too much, and watch too much football. What could be better? We alternate years of Thanksgiving with my side of the family and my husbands. This year it's our year for my side of the family and that means we don't have to leave town. Even better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too--I love to cook with my kids.

    That is a lovely rock and a lovely view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you on Thanksgiving. I like it a lot better. Too bad Christmas turns into gift giving by so many people. The stores here are already playing Christmas music....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love thanksgiving too! I love to be thankful : ). Unfortunately, I also LOVE the food. Gee, I wish I could stop liking it so much! Your kids are CUTE as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you 1000000%!
    Thanksgiving is wonderful - it is ALL GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where in NC is your "rock"? (It's lovely, btw...) I love Western NC.
    Don't know if you remember, but my folks used to have a vacation house in Sapphire Valley, NC way back when - not too far from Highlands, NC. Lovely area. We used to go there every year for TG. Really nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you, Sister!! Thanksgiving has ALWAYS been my favorite holiday (I'm sure part of it is that it happens during my favorite season- fall!) CSJ and I met on Thanksgiving Day, which just amplified my love of the holiday for a long time. But, then when things went bad, it almost ruined Thanksgiving for me completely. How do you not think, "Oh, gee, this is the day we met..." But, it's water under the bridge now, and my love is back in full swing! It helps that my baby's birthday is also in November, so the whole month becomes one big celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just don't know why we've already had Thanksgiving here in Canada. It would be nice if we celebrated it at the same time as in the States. I think.
    We had it back in October.
    Whatever.
    Nice table setting.
    Pretty fancy.
    You are a bit of a domestic Goddess methinks.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.