Pages

October 01, 2008

Our conundrum results



We decided we would go ahead and adopt a Rescue Boxer .

I took a deep breath, said a small prayer and said "yes."


To even be considered to adopt a dog you have to fill out an application.



Funny, I don't remember doing this with either of the kids I took home from the hospital.

But, I have always said that parents should have some sort of minimum I.Q. test before taking a baby home to care for.

Life would be different for many children in this world if more parents had some common sense. Just my opinion.

And really that is the only one that counts around here. ;)



The dog application questions.

  1. All your personal info. name, address, phone.
  2. Does your spouse/roommate agree to adopt a dog? yes.
  3. Why do you want to get a boxer? We have one and love her to pieces. Plus it would be good to test some cosmetics on a boxer. they have big eyes.
  4. Have you ever been arrested, charged or convicted of animal abuse, neglect or endangerment? Ah...NO. If I was, would I be adopting AND telling the truth?
  5. Do you live in a home, apt, military housing, condo? home. hopefully business will pick up and we wont' be moving to that cardboard box under the I-75 overpass.
  6. Do you have a swimming pool? yes. Sometimes we bathe in it too.
  7. Do you have a fenced yard? Yes. but the gate is constantly broken.
  8. Do you have any pets right now? Yes.
  9. List your pets. Oh good lord....3 cats, 2 lizards, 1 snake and anything else that shows up on the front porch.
  10. Names of all your pets. Harley, Maisy, Krispy, Freddie the freeloader, scott, larry. really, they are all animals and not people.
  11. Have you ever had dogs in the past. yes
  12. What happened to them. Died. Dad said one ran away and one went to a farm to live.
  13. List/describe other livestock that you presently have. None. Do I have to count the horse and 6 goats that showed up in my yard one day. What about the huge iguana up in my palm tree?
  14. Vets name . Dr. McWealthy Pants. We have made the local veterinarians very rich. They should have our name on their boat.
  15. Please describe your daily routine: Please, do you want to know that I get up at 5:10 to wake up teenager, then shoo her out the door at 6:15, then make coffee, wake up middle schooler at 7:30 drive her to school and return to start daily chores of cleaning up this house, exercising the dog, paying bills, cooking and generally taking care of my family in a great way? What I said was: I am a stay at home Mom. I generally don't leave for very long periods of time (in house arrest) and I walk and exercise the dog many times during the day. (true story)
  16. Where will the dog be when you are away from the home? Most likely on the nice leather couch with the other dog. True
  17. Where will the dog sleep. Where ever the dog wants to sleep. Most likely on the king sized bed with husband, myself and other dog.
  18. What will happen to the dog if you move? Our pets go where we go. We will get a deluxe sized cardboard box.
  19. Under what circumstances would you not keep a dog? None. If it died, we would most likely not keep it.
  20. Are you willing to go through training with your boxer? YES A taser works wonders on an animal.
  21. Will you take responsibility for the dogs entire life? (10-12 years) yes. Unless we die first.
  22. Estimated expenses, estimate how much you would spend on medical care and food for a dog. As much as it takes. I did not even go into how much $$$$$$we spent on cocoa's 2 surgeries in 2 weeks. there goes Lo's first car fund.
  23. May a Representative visit your home? Yes. Please call first so I can hide the dead cats and dogs and get rid of some of the smell.

What do you think our chances are?



It has been 6 days and I have not heard from anyone.

The girls ask each day if we got a call. I keep telling them that the boxer people came by, saw the mess in their bathroom and under their beds and denied us a dog.
"Mother of the Year"

Cocoa is oblivious to the fact that she may get a sibbling.

She will love him, I know.

But I wonder who will reside on the back of Dad's recliner now?

13 comments:

  1. Every day... every day, you make me laugh! I hate to fill out forms- and having to write all of the "between the lines" stuff on the application would've killed me! I hate to tell you, but I think Eric squealed on you about the goats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better get a dog. I can not imagine a better family for a rescue. I love your answers to where the dog will be when you leave and where it will sleep! HA!

    I can not even imagine them asking how long you intend to keep a pet... seems as though until they die would be obvious. Then I read all the pet listings on craigslist. It makes me so angry when I read, we are moving and pet can not go with us. Funny we moved 3 times with our large dog, and lived in an apartment and he moved with us everytime. It was not an option for him not to!
    Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Keeping my fingers crossed you get a new baby soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I'm with you! Why is it sooo complicated to rescue a dog, but any one who can fornicate can have a child!? Good luck with the adoption. BTW, I LOVE what you told the girls. Totally sounds like something I would do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They don't even ask you this kind of stuff when you adopt a CHILD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww....good luck! I can't wait for the new arrival!

    I think it's a GREAT idea to have an application process, and you're absolutely right...people should have to be approved before having babies as well! I see enough unfit Moms in the hospital and it makes me sad that an innocent baby doesn't have a choice in who they go home with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dogs read this and they want to come live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can list me as a personal reference! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! I hope you hear something soon.

    A few years ago, I was trying to rescue a golden retriever. We live about 2.5 hours north of L.A. (truly in the middle of nowhere -- no other even small towns for at least 90 miles), and NO ONE was willing to come out to check out our yard. I could not believe it!

    We ended up paying a fortune for a puppy from a breeder. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suz, I just LAUGHED my head off about this. And, it is WAY too late to be laughing my head off. I am supposed to be feeling sad that I am still up doing CRAZY paperwork for my DEAD END job, but no, now I am all happy and chipper and stuff, thanks to you and your hilarious post : )! You will definitely get approved. I would advise you to start burrying the dead animal carcasses now though, so you won't have to scramble when they come to visit : ).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a SCREAM. Maybe you should write comedy for TV...I'm not kidding. You are much more entertaining that they are on TV! I hope you get a great boxer. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad they screen people. Too many people adopt, then decide they don't want them anymore. You are a good mommy and Cocoa will be a good big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the picture of Cocoa. See your pics and hearing about the rescue dog are really making me ready to get our next dog, which WILL be a boxer. Time to start looking for local breeders and/or rescue dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. best answer ever for the kids, LOL... I would have used that one myelf!

    LOVE COCOA. LOVE HER CHAIR.

    How could you not want another?

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.