Pages

October 23, 2008

Playing in the Yard....


Well, enough of my complaining about how hot it is here. It has finally cooled off a bit.
85 degrees at high noon is awfully nice.

I found this bug on the front column by the entry way...

I don't know what he is.

I asked him, but apparently he is the silent type.

I just found out I had this Macro button on my camera, don't you feel lucky?




The orchids that I continually ignore bloomed again.....




The family is mourning the loss of this "canary island" palm tree.

He has been in this spot for 10 years and somehow caught a disease.

With all the birds, squirrels and snakes I have seen coming and going in it over the years, it could be an STD.

Protection is key here.

See how all the fronds are drooping down...so sad. When it is trimmed up properly it looks like a pineapple. The girls and I call it the pineapple tree.

Now, we call it the dead tree and we make sad faces every time we pass it in the car.

Partly because the fronds hit my car as we drive by it now.

It will cost an arm and a leg or two to have it removed and we would have to sell the children to replace it with one of similar size. Since I finally have the children trained so well, I am keeping them.

I think a rose bush will work when the time comes.

This is the other Pineapple Tree in our yard.

It is much smaller, but gives you an idea of what a healthy one looks like.
This guy is in need of a trim too. The fronds sway in the wind and tap at my bathroom window. It makes me think I have a peeping Tom.


But maybe it is just this guy with the binoculars:


Lil' perv.

15 comments:

  1. Those orchids? Shockingly gorgeous. Those palms trees? I am in love with them. I think I want to marry them.

    And if proposition 8 doesn't pass here in California, I think I am going to sue for the right to marry your tree. The healthy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha.... I love your "color commentary" around your house! And I LOVE your little Travelocity gnome! I talk in that little voice all the time when my kids call me from downstairs... I always reply (in the "roaming gnome voice".... "I'm On My Way!"....)

    Yes, still a dork... even after ALL these years...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dig it up and put a spa there. It's far enough away from the road for privacy, and it looks like you have a gated ESTATE anyways.

    I do mourn the loss of that palm. And they do cost a pretty penny to replace....damn snakes and gators!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely pics.
    i'm jealous of that beautiful horticulture and the weather.
    you are very lucky.
    that garden gnome does look like a bit of a weirdo tho' now you mention it.
    keep an eye on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your yard is beautiful. I wouldn't have known that that tree was dying. Hm, what does that say about me? I have a brown thumb, like HWHL.
    Maybe you could sell the orchids to pay for a new tree? They are GORGEOUS! Or, buy that gnome a gnome-woman to peep at, instead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with your orchids and trees, too.

    Heck, I don't discriminate; I'll even marry your Special Needs Palm.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is creepy to have a gnome with binoculars. I agree, total perv!
    I would make sure my bathroom drapes are tightly closed. Seriously.
    PS Kudos on the Orchid. You must be some kind of whiz in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it was still 85 here at noon, I'd be slashing my own throat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe :) love the pics! the flowers are really pretty. sorry to hear about your "promiscuous" tree

    ReplyDelete
  10. Send some of your excess degrees up to Ohio, as we're going to need them.

    As far as your tree is concerned, I guess nobody told it about the birds and bees.

    And the troll would feel at home on some of the internet message boards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those orchids are just beautiful! And I love the "pineapple trees!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. 85 degrees? I'll be right over!

    I posted about one of those crazy bugs once. Did you know they can jump and "click"? Sorry. Too much information?

    Now, about that gnome....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pervy gnome! As for the "estate" you have going on there...will you adopt me? Or can I get in line to marry a tree so I can become part of the family? (or landscape...whatever.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those orchids are beautiful!! Looks like they enjoy being abused.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah, so the weather person just said we're gonna get snow Sunday up here...maybe you could share some of those 85 degrees afterall...but only a couple!

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.