Pages

October 29, 2008

The day I lost my flippin' mind

It started off as a typical weekend day.

I slept in.
I had my cup of coffee.
Checked on the girls, they were being typical as well.
One on the couch watching TV, one on the computer watching You Tube.

I made our bed. Coach left a few hours earlier for softball practice.



I went out to the back yard and fiddled with my compost.
I found several ant piles en route and went back and treated them.

I cleaned the guest bathroom.

I sent the girls to their rooms to clean.

I took the dogs out to the driveway to run a bit.

That was right before I started to lose my mind.



I heard something down the street. I knew what I heard. But I was not sure it was real.

It was a sound that I had not heard in a hundred years.

My heart started beating fast.

I was getting a weird feeling in my head. In my hands and feet too.


It was not right. I was losing it.



I had to get the girls' attention.
I could not even be bothered with going back into the garage, through the mudroom door to get them. I needed them NOW.

I started calling for them from the yard. Lo.....Linds!!!!!

I ran to Lindsay's window and started banging, screaming her name. LINDSAY!!!!

The dogs looked at me like I was a crazy person. And I was.

Linds pulled the blinds back and looked at me like I was a crazy person. Because I was.

I screamed to her through the window:

THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMING!!!!!!

She pursed her lips and said: You are lying.

I screamed through the window:
No, I am not, he is really coming...he is coming down the street!!!


Get out here NOOOOOOWWWW!!!

In a flash, she came out the garage with my wallet in hand.

I suppose she believed me now.

Then, I looked at her and remembered her Sister had been fooling around with a flute earlier...maybe that was what I was hearing. Was I overreacting?
Am I really hearing the ice cream truck???

I asked Linds this...she said she can hear it too.



She started jogging down the driveway and then stopped....

This is when she realized she still had on her Hello Kitty boxer shorts and decided to change.

I almost lost it then.... I shouted: THERE IS NO TIME FOR CHANGING!!!!!

She ran back into the house.



I just knew she was going to miss this golden opportunity.


It was as if I had injected with a shot of adrenaline. I was a crazy person.

I started yelling into the house....Run Run, Hurry up, Run Linds, HUUUUURRYYY !!!!!!
By now Lauren came out and looked at me like a crazy person too.

I said to Lo:
Hurry and run down to the street and get an ice cream.
The ice cream man is commmmmmming!!!


She Just stared at me, kinda scared at this point. She did not want to go.


Lindsay came out and I could just see the front of the ice cream VAN coming into view.


I told her to run down there before it passes byyyyy !!!

You would have thought the ice cream man was giving away money, or even baby dolphins the way I reacted to his arrival...

She Ran down opened the gate and met the ice cream man in the street.


I had such a huge grin on my face by now, but my blood pressure was still very high.

I ran into the house for the camera. Knowing that this may never happen again.

The person driving the van saw me taking the pictures and most likely thought I was a crazy person too.




That is ok. I am alright with being a crazy person by now.

Lindsay came back in and we had a good 15 minute laugh about the whole thing.

I came to my senses and realized what a kook I am. This made me laugh all the more....


You see, we don't ever have an ice cream truck here. We live in a semi-rural area.

They just don't come around.
Or, if they do, we may be inside and we would never hear them coming.


Later on, after the incident Lauren said she thought someone was breaking into the house and I was telling Lindsay to run for her life.

Lindsay told me that the neighbors must think that I am insane.

She said I made it sound like someone was chasing her down the street with a knife.

Because I was telling her to run run run.


I explained to the kids that as a child we had the icecream truck coming by all the time...we could hear it blocks away. Of course we could not hear our parents in the next room telling us to do something, but that truck...that truck was music to our ears.


Then it dawned on me. I wanted an ice cream and in all the craziness, I did not get one.


I called Jeff and asked him to pick me up a push-up pop on his way home.
He did. No questions asked. (that is a good husband)



If there was ever a thought that I was a normal person, well that is out the window with this little incident.

What makes you go loco?

20 comments:

  1. You are SO funny and such an excellent writer. Do you know that I never in my life had an ice cream truck come down my street? We always lived in hicksville! I thought my friends that lived in developments were SO lucky. I am trying to think what makes me go crazy. I can't stand if our garbage isn't out by 5:00pm the night before trash pick up. If Gary waits until 9:00 or 10:00 I start to get very very mean. Truly mean : ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes me go loco? I have to think about this awhile. Probably seeing something from my childhood, possibly a comic book or a baseball card from those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Too funny! You had me a nervous wreck for a minute and then I was laughing out loud! (All the kids came running to see why I was laughing) I am really not a mean mom but when I hear the ice cream truck, which is EVERYDAY of the summer, my husband and I look at each other and try to make noise so that the kids can't hear it! It is soooo expensive! We do let them get it a few times each summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ice cream man...it is so fun! I love the cone with the gum on the bottom!-sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know how much I love you??? You make me laugh... everyday. I cannot believe that YOU did not get an ice cream... after all of that excitement. :) For a while there were a couple coming through my neighborhood, but we haven't seen them in a while. I will always remember sitting on my cousins couch and hearing the ice cream truck for the first time... I was little- maybe four? But it never came to where we lived, and it was a regular thing at her house. I'm so happy you got that truck on your street. Now the big question- will it return? You bought ice cream, so that is a plus, but you acted like a maniac, and that... is not a plus. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO funny. I remember many times chasing the ice cream man all around the neighborhood. I think he would speed up just to torment us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Maybe you should check out my latest post.

    Just kidding.

    Actually, and you're not going to believe this, but I love the free gift with purchase from the Lancome, Clinique, or Bobbi Brown. OMG. I am up to my neck in mini mascaras and multi colored makeup bags.

    Why would you not believe this? Because the most makeup I ever wear is lipgloss and mascara. Honest. I oughta stop wasting my money. It's an addiction. I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i thought a mad axe man was running down your street and you were trying to save the lives of your children.
    you maniac. LOL
    but you made me realize that i miss the ice cream man too. never seen one since i came to canada.
    mr. whippy or mr. gracco used to come down our street when i was a kid. i'd get a "99 with monkey's blood".
    it cost 9d
    ahh memories.

    :-))

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is there about the music of the ice cream truck? It's Pavlovian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious! I thought sure it was a tornado or something scarey. Ice Cream. And you forgot to buy one for yourself! BWAAAAAA~
    What makes me loco? Cotton Candy at a ball game. Must. Have. Cotton. Candy....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought something terrible happened...because I got a glimps of the vehicle before reading, and immediately thought it was an ambulance!
    Whew! I'm so glad it was just the ice cream man...and kudos to Coach for stopping on his way home for the pushup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this story is hysterical! i love the ice cream man and will not see him for many, many months

    ReplyDelete
  13. "THERE IS NO TIME FOR CHANGING!!"
    I can so hear you yelling that!

    This had me laughing really hard! :-)
    The ice cream man comes through our 'hood every day in the Summer. He CLEANS UP in our neighborhood. I bet he makes a 6 figure salary. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG. The SAME thing happened to me last year! It's like you have to HURRY!!!!

    When I lived in Germany, it was the pomme frittes (french fry) man coming through the neighborhood. omg. SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Suz
    My husband did the exact same thing when he heard the ice cream truck go by on the road where his mom lives(where he grew up).Not knowing why he acted that way,I almost had a heart attack not knowing what was happening!Esp when he asked me to run,run,run

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your kids will be in therapy from this one day! J/k. That whole exchange was classic. Could picture it all. And so sad you didn't get a treat from the truck but at least you got your push pop!!! Soooo funny!

    Was that the one and only time you chased down the truck? Can you start a campaign to get the truck to come more frequently?? Or maybe you can stick a cooler filled with treats in the trunk of your car and have your daughter play the flute in the passenger seat while you drive around to the houses?

    ReplyDelete
  17. When we lived in a subdivision, I was the mom who yelled out back to all of the kids when the Ice Cream Man was coming. Does that make us weird?? Bwahahaha!

    You've been tagged:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my holy hell!! You just scared the shit out of all my babies!! OK, I scared them, cuz it's rest time, and I just guffawed so loudly, they all jumped!!! This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time!!!

    My sister told her girls, when they were little, that if the ice cream man was playing music, that meant that he was out of ice cream. Oh, yes she did!!! And, it worked for a while. But, then they got to know Muhammad, their ice cream man, and it was all over! He drove through their cul-de-sac about 3 times a day, and a couple of times a week, he'd give my nieces free ice cream. He was a sweet man. My nieces can hear an ice cream truck from at least 6 blocks away, and they would start screaming for my sister to "get some money, the ice cream man is cooommmmiiinnnggg!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great story! My girls love the ice cream truck, too. In fact, last summer my youngest daughter (11 years old at the time) got the ice cream man's business card and called him every day to see what time he'd be in the neighborhood! She’s a smart one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just read your name for Grandma J's bear...WHAT'S GOING ON? You made "her" a stripper? You are so silly : ). I am sorry (kind of) that your team lost the World Series. I actually did think of you last night when we won.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.