Pages

April 11, 2009

It's not a holiday until someone gets insulted.....

Sound like a familiar family tale? Good, then we are normal.

Lo Easter 2001
Linds Easter 2001



I have motioned before that we always spend Easter with my Grandma...she just turned 96 and since I was a little girl I have spent almost every Easter with her while living in Florida. (which is about 32 Easters for me)

We used to always go to church on Easter Sunday with Grandma.
My Grandma has been a member of the same church in Miami Springs for about 55 years. In that time, the church has changed quite a bit. Grandma has not changed so much. That combination does not usually work out well. It is far too contemporary for her now...and they do offer a traditional service, but it is much too early for her anymore too.

Grandma being the age that she is, it is too much work to get ready and then to actually get her to church. So we have our Easter Sundays at her house now. I do miss going to services with her....it was always entertaining.

One of the last Easter Sundays that we were able to attend church there were a few incidents.

My girls, being so un-girly like did not enjoy wearing their DRESS shoes....so unbeknownst to me, Linds took hers off. Of course I did not know this until she was next to the minister at the front of the church for the children's sermon.....and he thought it should be brought it to everyones attention!!!

But he laughed and said it was very fitting to speak of Jesus while NOT wearing shoes.


And of course my Grandma relished in the glory of getting some EXTRA attention. ;)

After the service, the nice young minister came by to shake everyones hands and wish us a nice Easter....REMEMBER my Grandma has NO filter. She leaned in real close to the minister when he got to her and she yelled whispered: "that is a horrible tie, I hope your wife did not pick it out!"

I know she was waiting so hard until the service was over to let him know this!


Yet, I suppose at that age, she thought she had the best taste in menswear? She thinks NOTHING about letting you know what you are doing wrong. ;0

Lo and Linds on that Easter Sunday 2001

Could ONE of you smile properly for your Mom????



And for your viewing pleasure...you know how I love to make fun of MYSELF!!!
My Brother and I on Easter....perhaps 1970 or 71???



Ok, now I know where they get the "not smiling" part from.....and do you see how short my dress is????? OMG.
My Mom says I insisted on wearing the same dresses over and over...year after year....but really, I think she may be hiding the fact that we were POORER than I thought!!!!
Perhaps my Mom wished for a peaceful Easter and whipped up a batch of the ol' cough syrup...hence the drunken look on me????
ha ha!!!

I will let you know how our Easter turns out this year!

Happy Easter everyone!!!


26 comments:

  1. Love the pictures and memories you share today. Hoping all goes well and don't forget to SMILE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what cute Easter memories, Suzanne... You look so cute in your white shoes, purse, gloves and hat... I used to have to dress like that when I was little. Like Linds, I was OUT of my shoes as quickly as possible (still am)... ha

    I never had a little girl to 'frilly' up for Easter. BUT--I have a picture somewhere of my SONS in their 'leisure suits'.... Remember those suits????? ha ha ha

    And one year, my sons' aunt 'made' my oldest son a suit made out of nalgahide (spelling??)... It wasn't leather--but it looked like it, but much cheaper. That was the ugliest suit I've ever seen.. BUT--we made him wear it that ONE time. He was so mad at us for making him wear that suit... Can you say UGLY??? Anuntie Nancy loved seeing him in it though... ha

    Happy Easter.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to everything in your post. Can't go out in public with my Mom - kids never behaved when I took pictures - oh, the memories! Thanks for helping the rest of us feel normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! Your gram is a hoot! Happy Easter to you, too, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! What a hoot! Love the short dress. I look at some pics of myself at that age and wonder what on earth EVVVVERYBODY was thinkin' to be runnin' around like that! But hey...look at it this way, we all fit in! LOL

    That seems to be the way church is headed. So sad to think you've gotta be 'young' to feel comfortable. I'm not that young either! : (

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandma has earned the right to say whatever she wants. I think she's a hoot!

    I couldn't help but laugh at the pic of you and your brother! The white belt and shoes are so '70s. Your dress looks new...that was the era of micro minis and hot pants so maybe it was just stylish.
    I had that same tv when I was first married, and I know this is lame, but is that cat going poop?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures that you dig out from your childhood are priceless! Love the little white dress. I can also empathize with a Granny who has lost her filter. Mine lost hers years ago and it can provide for some interesting moments.
    On a different note. I tagged you in my blog today. When you have a second head on over and have a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you'll have a happy (and memorable) Easter with your Grandma. I look forward to hearing all about it. I think your Grandma and my Dad (he's 96) would get along very well. There must have been something in the water the year they were born!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even more than your Easter outfit, I love the TV you're standing in front of. That was my fantasy TV. Ours was a 13 inch black and white.

    And really....no holiday is a holiday until someone gets insulted. Or has family tension. Or has a big fight.

    Right? Or is that just my family?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful Easter memories. I'll be looking forward to more and I hope you have a safe and Happy Easter.

    I love the story about your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grandma is priceless! We love that necktie story. Happy Easter to you and all the family! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know--your brother was rocking his well-fitting outfit! I'm with Jason on the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I LOVE your Grandma! And those photos - I laughed LOUDLY at your hilarious childhood photo. Being the baby of 5, I don't think there are any photos of me...I was born, then I was 13. Thank goodness...

    enjoy Easter with Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have the BEST posts, BB! Sweet and touching and funny and entertaining and *real*. Love the pictures and yeah, those orange-tinged photos from the 70's... I gots em too, LOL!

    Easter weekend is flying by and we're not even really doing anything except shopping, cooking and taking care of knick-knacks. GULP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute post. just lerve those old pictures, i too have them in orange. hahaha

    your gramma sounds like a sweet feisty lady. i bet you have wonderful stories and memories.

    happy easter, suz, and thank you for the kind words on my last post.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your grandma - she's hilarious!

    And the photo of you - priceless! Don't you remember those awful frilly socks?! I remember HATING it when my mom forced me to wear those... they drove me NUTS as a kid. I've never made my daughter wear those.

    And dang girl, that skirt was SERIOUSLY short! Hootchie-mama, at a young age! LOL. :)
    You looked adorable, and so did Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. Happy Easter to you, Coach, and the girls. BIG HUGS for everyone! Love you!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the post and the pictures. I hope you and your family and a fantabulous Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Easter!!!
    Cute cute and cute!!
    I miss Easter bonnets.
    Not.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your Mom just knew early on that you had GREAT legs and she wanted to make sure everyone else knew too! How could you miss those. WOW!

    Hope you had a very Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lets see...a few posts ago I remember a picture with someone feeding you a beer - now the dress...hmmmmmmm :)
    I LOVE the stories about you grandma - she is the kinda woman I would love to meet. Just tell me like it is! That's why I love working with elderly people - they are so REAL - no sugarcoating. You KNOW if they like you and you KNOW if they don't - AND exactly WHY! LOL!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This soooo true! Once an insult is hurled, it is ON!

    I can't wait to hear all about your Easter and your grandma! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where to start?
    You Grandma; being elderly has its perks. One is having no filter. I look forward to it for that reason.
    you and your brother; that dress is awesome, so are the shoes, and the hat (complete with strap) and those shoes, and the look on your face.
    Hope you had a great Easter.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  24. scary that your GRANDMOTHER is 96 when my FATHER is 82. God, I feel old

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that TV in your photo.

    We had the grandkids over before church yesterday morning, and yes, it's next to impossible to get all three to smile for you, or even look at the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE your dress!!

    BTW - I had that same Siamese cat. Was that a '70's thing, or what?

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.