Pages

September 21, 2008

A new conundrum.


We saw a cute boxer puppy yesterday.


Jeff and Lo were giving me the eyes. They had a fairly good sales pitch.


Outwardly, I was not buying.
Inside, I was screaming “Lets take her home”.



I have said many times that one dog is really good for us.


She travels well. She fits in our bed well. I don't know if we can fit another dog in there...
She is a really good girl.


I know she would love to have a bro/sis to play with though.
And we have SO much love to share in this house.

I told them the Dog was way too expensive and if we ever got another one we would rescue, not buy. Jeff agreed, stating it would feel much better knowing we were helping a needy dog.


Lo said that buying is rescuing because we could “rescue her from the pet store”.


Clever girl.

Last night I spent about 2 hours looking at several boxer rescue sites.


Oh, there is a lot of them. Looks like most of them are taken by volunteers from local pounds and put in temporary foster homes until a perm home can be found.


Many are just abandoned. Or neglected. That just breaks my heart.
One dog, he was about 5 was found roaming the streets.


They tracked his micro-chip to a home. The home was now owned by a bank. How could you have a dog for 5 years and then just leave it?


I realize times are tough for people, but how could you just leave an animal to just fend for itself?

We are still thinking about it.
I have to weigh the pros and cons.



Something I did learn is that you are advised to NOT have 2 females or 2 males.


Even if they are fixed. That kind of bummed me out, because I wanted another girl.


(if I got a dog) They are about 10 lbs smaller than males.



But then again, if I were to get a male, perhaps he would be SO in love with me as Cocoa is enamored by Jeff. Jealous who?


I do know I would prefer an older dog-3 years plus. We would not even be against a senior dog (7 yrs +)
But then I realized they only live about. 10 years. I am already dreading Cocoa getting old and dying and she is only 3.

I am a real softie.


I still get sad thinking about my Beloved cat Junior who at 11 we had to put to sleep back in 1999 due to kidney disease. That cat was so awesome and affectionate.


He ruined me for all other cats...



Oh, who knows what we will do.
I told the kids that if we got another dog that means they can’t take friends with us on our summer vacations anymore because we won’t have room in the car.
Of course they are fine with that NOW…….


6 comments:

  1. Getting a second beagle was the best thing we ever did for our first dog. They love each other so much and we don't feel guilty if we're gone because they have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fall in love with every dog I meet. Right now I don't have one, but my Charlie was 18 when I had to put him to sleep. Don't think I could handle that again, so I just lavish my love on JJ my step-grandson-dog. Charlie was a rescue dog as a new puppy. He was a Cockapoo because they don't shed and I have a thing about dog hair and alergies. Now, your Cocoa is adorable!! So is Jeff (kidding...no I'm not, yes I am, really, sort of). She would get along fine with a male dog. The female is always the alpha dog no matter the size or age. So Cocoa would still be getting all her love and her new brother would get what she lets him have. Oh dear, I better have me some coffee, NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. SO adorable!! I definitely give you props for adopting. I used to work at a no-kill shelter and saw so many dogs come in who people just 'couldn't handle'. It is super sad. Are there any no-kill shelters in your area or SPCA that you could go visit. I HATE pet stores because they are stocked with dogs from bad breeders & just supports puppy mills.(which is sick too). If you find a dog you think you want, just make sure your current dog & the new one get along well

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're actually debating that now for Miles... I always say, he's sad, he wants a friend. But Ty is still saying... he always looks like that.

    Sigh.

    We'll see.

    And yes definitely, never the same sex... they will compete. oy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our 2 female dogs get along GREAT.... and getting Diva was the best thing we could have done for Ruby. It caused her to "find" her inner puppy again (she was becoming an "old lady" before her time...)

    However, 2 females may work for us because we got a puppy... so Ruby was already clearly the dominant female.

    I say go ahead and get a 2nd dog. But don't buy from the pet store... unless you can CONFIRM they do not utilize puppy mills.

    Exciting to have a new dog "possibility"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh. I don't know how you can say no. So adorable! :). Maybe you could tell the girls they can have her if they PROMISE to clean their bathroom every morning... What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.