Pages

September 21, 2008

I found this sight to be too funny.




I am pretty sure when Maisy decided to perch up here on the lanai counter top that "Freedie the Freeloader" was tucked away in his little den.
When anyone gets near his home, he generally likes to come out and see what is going on....




The cat was oblivious to the snake watching her....

About Freddie The Freeloader, our albino corn snake.


I know most people are freaked out by snakes. I usually am too.

We have had him for about 4 years. (a rescue) and he is clearly the easiest, lowest maintenance pet we have. Mostly because I don't do anything with him. I have never touched him.

The kids and Jeff feed him and clean out his cage. He spends most of the year on the lanai, the colder months he is in the playroom. (always in his cage)

He does not make any noise. He really likes when the kids take him out and let him slide and slither all over the ground. I don't think he even has teeth.

He sheds about 4X a year, so he is growing. He is approx 4 1/2 ft long.

He did escape one time. Clearly the cats had been sitting on the top of his cage and the screen broke through.

He was missing for about 5 hours and one of the cats found him for us in some plants around the pool. The cat did not even try to hurt him. She was just staring at him.

Since then, I ball up pieces of tin foil and set it on the top of his cage, the cats are afraid of tin foil.

How did we end up with this little guy?

Three years ago on Christmas day, as I was sick in bed.

(It ain't Christmas until someone is sick, that year it was my turn.)

Jeff and the girls went to visit a cousin. The cousin had this snake in a tiny cage.

And it was not being taken care of properly. The girls begged. Jeff gave in.

They came home and "surprised" me.

Husbands excuse?????

"It is better to beg for forgiveness, than to ask permission"

Really.

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely live by that theory. Forgiveness rocks.

    Snakes don't make me all woogie, but balled up tin foil...that right there is horrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can live with the snake my boys have, but I cannot buy the little tiny mice for it to eat. Too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i once dated a guy who had a snake in his bedroom... every night i went to sleep terrified that it would escape and i would wake up to find it cuddled up next to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PT-Funny. Tin foil fear.

    Jenn- I know. I buy him "mice on Ice" they are frozen. And have to be thawed out before feeding him.
    I like to think the mice died of natural causes.

    Gina-oddly enough, I do dream about snakes...a LOT. I don't think it has anything to do w/ Freddie though. I've been dreaming of snakes for YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so brave : ). I am glad she is an easy pet! Kaish would like one too. I keep saying no to all pets, but I am sure I will give in one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just almost peed my pants laughing about your "It's like Disney World here, I should charge you" comment : )!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I am jealous of your beaches! That would be a great free thing. We are land locked though. No beaches for hours...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A snake?! I have lived with some weird pets in my life, but never a snake. My sister used to work in a pet store. She said the only animals that escaped on a regular basis were the snakes. I'm impressed that you haven't had any problems with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those photos are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a good sport. I cannot imagine ANY circumstances that would involve me allowing a snake to live within the same four walls as I do.
    Somehow you skipped off of my blogroll! I'm so glad that you're back. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snakes are fine, in someone else's house or out in the wild. NOT IN MY HOUSE EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so funny.... did you know Hubster had 2 pet pythons when we were dating? a 9 footer that ate RABBITS (I did not watch), and a 4 footer that ate mice. When we moved in together, the snakes did NOT join us. "It's me or the snakes".

    I loved your line "The snake does not make any noise."
    You're so cute, honey. :-)

    PS: Jeff's line about forgiveness vs. permission.... I use that ALL the time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to agree... always better to get forgiveness than permission.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.