Pages

March 09, 2020

The one where I complain about overly excited people!!

A few posts back I was complaining (shocker) about the overuse of exclamation points. I believe I might have scared (or scarred) a few of you thinking that you overuse them too.
You don't.
I'm sure this post will make me sound b*tchy, but please don't hate me. 

And I had to add them to the title too because I'm wearing my sassy pants today.

This is what I was talking about, I copied these from the Facebook:

Happy Birthday Becky!!!! The big 21!!!
I just still can’t believe my baby is 21!!
Hope you have a wonderful day!!! 
You are such a beautiful young woman, 
You are kind, helpful, so very caring to everyone!! I’m so very proud to be your Mom! All your accomplishments, all your hard work, so much ahead for you!! I can’t believe you are almost a senior in College!! Love you!!!


I miss my Harley! Only gone 6 months but I think of her every day!

She may have saved our lives! 
RIP Harley!

If you had to purchase exclamation points, these peeps would be BROKE. 
















There is a time and a place for everything though:

Punctuation saves lives: there’s a meaningful difference between ‘Duck’ and ‘Duck!’


But, much like the little boy who cried wolf:



"There is really only one rule when it comes to the exclamation mark: don’t use it. This is an exaggeration of course! In fact, rare usage is the point: the Chicago Manual of Style says the exclamation mark ‘should be used sparingly to be effective.’"





















Did you know that September 24th is National Punctuation Day? 
Me neither, we should celebrate with a margarita though. 




That's it for my complaints today. 

Wait, I take it back, I'm gonna complain about myself. 
Yesterday marked FOUR weeks that I started with my flu symptoms. 
The cough hasn't left me. It slowed down a bit, but it refuses to vacate my body.
Guess how I was feeling yesterday? 
C*R*A*P*P*Y
I coughed/choked most of the night. Am I having a relapse? Is it the common cold? 
Dr. Suz also wonders if it's a sinus infection. 
Don't even mention the C-word that I'm sick of hearing. *dusting off my shank*

I'm sure I'll live, but I'm ready to feel healthy again. 
I mean, I'm ready to feel healthy AGAIN!!

I'm far from being an English major. More like a grammar minor? 
Nevermind, I'm over 21. 
Does it bother you when I change fonts? Or when I use italics? How about when I refer to Facebook as The Facebook? 
I used to be guilty of using too many ellipses...
Now....I'm trying to wean myself from them...
.....it's difficult because they are so addicting...

Anything you feel the need to get off your chest today?  
I'm also talking to YOU way in the back who never comments; I know you have something to say. 

22 comments:

  1. I DO re-think my exclamation points since your last shaming of the overusers of the exclamation points. I do see the extreme overuse in the example here. Holy!!! Moley!!!!

    Your example reminds me of something that I cannot wrap my brain around. Facebook posts where someone expresses her (I suppose could be his- but I usually see women doing this) most inner thoughts and feelings about a loved one. WHY THE NEED TO WRITE SOMETHING PERSONAL ON FB? Shouldn't this be reserved for a message JUST for this special person? Is it just me? Why do you want to gush about what this person means to you and post it for everyone else to read? Who cares?!

    Or you could be less than impressive with your words . . . A woman I sit for wrote to her husband for his bday. It went something like this: 'You are a pretty good guy. Never in my wildest dreams could I have ever predicted my life would be like this.' Wow- PRETTY GOOD GUY? Assuming she means that her life is great, but PREDICTED MY LIFE COULD BE LIKE THIS- could be misinterpretated. No?

    I was cry-laughing at this one. I am not one for gushing, but if I feel so compelled I am not gonna share with all of FB. (insert a million exclamation points here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry (and happy) that I'm making people re-think the exclamation point. BUT, you are not an offender.
      I agree with the FB issue of someone posting a big thank you or love for someone...and it's not a birthday or something special like that. You could do that in a text. A personal message or hey, IN A FREAKING HALLMARK card. Who would've thought of that?
      I was laughing at the woman referring to her husband as a 'pretty good guy". HA. Apparently, she lowered her bar when she married him.

      Delete
  2. I have a relative that puts exactly three exclamation points on any comment she makes on The Facebook!!! <--- See, just like I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it doesn't bother me when you change fonts or use exclamation marks or complain about them. Before I started blogging, I hated the word, blog, foodie and the over-use of exclamation marks. Fast forward about a decade and I've embraced them.

    Gotta be slightly annoying to always ask if it's Corona or not. I think though, that's common right now. Sorry you've been ill for 4 weeks. Hope you get cleared up soon. And rested well.

    Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a much kinder soul and more patient than I. ;)

      Delete
  4. Bad punctuation makes me mental, as does poor spelling and grammar. Sorry you're still sick! What an ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an ordeal. Trying to decide if I need to go back to the Dr. or wait it out.

      Delete
  5. There was one year I had a cough for months and months, thought it might be post nasal drip. Here's to you feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it possible that allergies are what's keeping the cough/icky feeling around? I've noticed my eyes haven't stopped watering lately and I am riddled with gross stuff - definitely allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought at first it might be allergies, but I'm leaning towards a cold or sinus infection now. I feel like garbage.

      Delete
  7. I am guilty of overusing exclamation points. Sometimes hard to get feelings across while typing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Wait, was that enough exclamation points to express my excitement?

    I MISS MY BLOGGY BUDDY!!!!!!

    Ok, I'm done. Maybe.

    LOVE YOU, GIRL!!!!

    I'm going to read back over, oh, I don't know, that past 5 years of posts?!?!

    I'll be back soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl. Where the heck have you been? You are missed.

      Delete
  9. Holy shitakes with the extra exclamation points. I FEEL YOU. I am an under-exclamation point user because I don't want anyone to think I am extra happy. It's never good to show your hand. ;)

    Also, when I had the flu a few years ago it took me a solid six weeks to feel better and I had the exact same setbacks. I only tell you this so you don't feel like you are alone. Solidarity sister. Normally I would have added an exclamation point behind the word sister but I feel like it wouldn't work at this juncture. Is that how you spell juncture?
    Also, let's just start adding THE before any and all social media just to piss the youngsters off.
    Gotta run! Adding exclamation points to all of my old posts on The Snapchat.
    Yes, I know that's now how The Snapchat works.
    I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shitake is right.
      Thank you for the solidarity. The flu literally kicked my butt and it keeps on kicking.
      Juncture. Yes.
      The Snapchat. I love it!

      Delete
  10. I use the ellipses way too much.... it's a pause...a long pause... between thoughts.... in a sentence... lol

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.