Pages

November 06, 2019

The one where we didn't fall in Charleston.


The Coach and I had a nice little getaway to Charleston, SC this past weekend. The trip was labeled "Coach's belated birthday" trip because I'm into labels.


This is one of our favorite places to visit. It's not terribly far for us; a little over an hour flight to Atlanta, then a 40-minute flight to Charleston. Once there, we don't need a vehicle because it's a great walking city and also, Uber/Lyft.

We had no plans.
How fun is that? Living by the seat of my pants. Whatever the heck that means.  But, I was thrilled to actually wear pants instead of shorts. The weather was just perfect! Sweater weather! I've been reading about that, and I finally knew what the people meant. Good hair days too; way less humidity.
I was in hair heaven.

We had some lovely meals. {shrimp and grits are my jam!}
Leisurely walks.
Window shopping.
And just sitting in the hotel when we felt like it and watching whatever on the boob tube.

When is the last time you walked through a cemetery? These are really old (1800's) and quite serene, weedy, flowery with gobs of butterflies.

But, it's all serene and pretty until you come across a crypt that is partially open.
*shiver* Do I see a bony hand coming up? 

The Coach and I were mesmerized by all the ginormous oaks. "Ours will look like this in 100 years."
{No sign of hair heaven in this pic}

Probably our least favorite thing about Charleston is the lumpy, bumpy, uneven sidewalks and roads. 


In our family, the family of weak ankles, this is treacherous.
I'm happy to confirm that neither of us fell the entire weekend.
Stumbled? Yes. But no actual 'I've fallen and I can't get up's.'

I take it back, I did have ONE place that I wanted to visit. Bitty & Beaus coffee shop.
I read about it a few years ago and I was in awe. It's a coffee shop that employs individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Coach and I stopped in for an iced tea and some great conversation. It was such a sweet part of our day; nothing better than spending time with exceptional peeps. They have three locations in the South, and if you ever have the chance, you should visit.


It was a great time away and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.
"Hmmmm, where should we go next?"
That's my travel agent right there....he's already got a few plans for us in 2020; no moss growing under our feet.

I hope everyone had a sweet weekend as well.
XOXO


10 comments:

  1. I love Charleston! Glad you had a good visit and didn't turn an ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you had a great time in Charleston. We hope to spend a couple of days there after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it!! Just watch your step. :)

      Delete
  3. I am sooo jealous of such an easy going adventure. I have not been to Charleston, but have heard that it is great. Coach and I were in Greenville, South Caroline in August when he taught a class there. We really enjoyed it! I would gladly hang in the south and sacrifice 'good hair' days (that really isn't a thing for me in any kind of weather, thanks celiac disease and my gorgous thin hair!) to bask in the sun poolside. It is a bit cold in Chicago - nothing like what we will soon run into, but I already hate it. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have your easy going adventures one day, but right now, the kids need you. ;)
      I wish I could send you some of this sunny, hot FL weather and split the difference.

      Delete
  4. Charleston is MY FAVORITE place on earth! So glad you didn't fall and break your ankle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a delightful weekend but I agree with you about those uneven sidewalks. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this lovely getaway. For sure I would fall on that sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful weekend you had there and any good hair day, is a good day! You really saw some great sights and between you and another blogger friend who happens to live in Charleston I'm getting a real feel for the place. It sure is filled with History and culture and I'm glad you were able to get away and enjoy it and I'm also glad you didn't break an ankle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Charleston! I'm glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.