Pages

May 05, 2014

I found some crotch pretties in the yard.


A few years ago I shared with you a secret that I'd learned from some green thumb friends.
The secret is….placing your non flowering orchids in the crotch. Of a tree. 
And it works. Over and over again. 

People love to give orchids as gifts, but they only bloom inside (for me) for so long…then outside they go to be one with nature. 

Well, the blooming is happening now…as it does several times a year. 
This one is in one of the oak trees along our driveway. 
Luckily we have several trees that do contain crotch space. 
MOST of our trees though are palm trees….
and you know what they say about palm trees: They are crotchless. 
Heathens. 

This one is in a large oak in the back yard….our family's favorite tree. 

Also in our favorite oak tree in the back yard. 

They are neighbors!!


We had a nice weekend. Getting things done around the house and the Coach and I donated a lot of $ to Costco yesterday. {Our freezer/fridge is filled!} 
It's getting hot 'round here…..but we haven't melted yet…..but I'm stocking up on deodorant!

Did you find anything interesting growing in crotches lately?
Ok, that sounded bad.
Did you see any interesting sights this weekend?


20 comments:

  1. i wonder why that is? so interesting! we had a doubleheader baseball game on saturday then went to roanoke for a cinco de mayo celebration...saw lots of interesting sights there due to alcohol lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool!! Does this only work in Florida or do you think it would work in North Carolina as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would guess that it would work in any area as long as you have some humidity on occasion... But if you're expecting a frost and snow you'd probably have to cover them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you leave them out all year round? Not sure if it would work in our area, I'd be worried they would be eaten by squirrels in the summer and killed by frost in the winter. Do critters bother your crotch orchids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. how bizarre! definitely helps that you're in a more tropical climate. here, they'd burn up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So prettty...and so strange at the same time. lol It's getting hot here too...supposed to be over 95 today. And it's just May. Scares me a little bit. : /

    ReplyDelete
  7. this morning was so nice... and yesterday!!!!! oh it was gorgeous. can't we vote on this? to keep this weather year 'round? instead of the 90s that they are predicting all week? ugh. your orchids are lovely... even if they are in crotches...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw lots of dirt this weekend. Putting in the garden :) Whew! I am exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have orchids growing in your trees! I don't have a lot of luck with them even inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have more crotch trees? I have a boatload of orchids to send you :)
    Too dry here to do tree crotch orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard about planting orchids in the crotch of trees. Obviously it works, since you have so many prettiest in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word!!! For some reason I was expecting a post on crotchless granny panties! (I need to go get my coffee!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I haven't tried growing orchids yet but my neighbor gave me one of those slatted wooded orchid baskets as as gift. Now it just needs a plant. Now I'm also going to have to go search my trees for crotches!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually the most interesting thing I have seen all day are all the blooming crotches in your yard ~ lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suz, how many weirdos are now trolling your website because you used that word? I could make a lot of jokes here, but I will refrain...but your orchids are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. DANG, you just can't do that up here in snowy NY :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well that's a first - I've never heard of this before!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I doubt those orchids would grow here, even in crotches. But this sure is a great idea for Florida orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh, well I did notice a smell growing. Gross, I can't believe I said that! Those are beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.