Pages

November 20, 2009

Dear Karma,

I have thought about you many times during the years. I have even blogged about you, remember my post about the mean bully girls in high school that now break mirrors simply by passing them? Yes, I have always believed in you Karma. And I know you can’t be everywhere, every time, for everyone. A lot of people do great things in this world and aren't able to meet you.

On Friday morning, as I was going about my business, running errands all morning hoping to get back home to meet my oven repair man, I hardly gave you a thought.

While I was in line at Publix, checking out, you were the furthest thing from my mind. I was thinking: Gosh, I should have got the special milk for Patrick and Uncle Jim..what am I going to cook for dinner on Saturday? Do I have sour cream at home for the mashed potatoes? Does Taylor Swift have to be on the cover of every magazine? random-acts-of-kindness

Suddenly, I snapped out of my thoughts and noticed the nice lady in front of me. She and I ran into each other twice during my shopping that morning, the first time as we walked into the store together, she gave me a nice smile. I noticed the little toddler with her, he was cute, fair haired and smiling. We had our 2nd run-in as she was trying to come out of an isle, and I was turning into this same isle, with all the displays on both sides, we had no room. I quickly retreated backwards and we both giggled…I realized this was not the isle I wanted anyway and I told her ”I really don’t know where I am going”..she smiled and laughed politely. She appeared to be Spanish, but understood my English well.

I noticed in the check out line, that while we had both been shopping the same amount of time, I clearly had a FULL cart, hers was nearly empty. She had a 12 pack of generic soda, a case of water, some rice, a few pieces of fruit and a quart of milk. I was loading up all my stuff on the conveyor belt while she was paying. I heard the cashier say in the nicest voice: “Your card is not going through. Do you have cash or a check?” I looked up just in time to see the look of horror on her face. She started digging in her purse. A moment or two passed and she started counting cash. She had very little. She had no check book. The line behind me was getting longer and my heart was getting heavier. I quickly dug into my wallet, so thankful to find a 20 dollar bill. (I never know what I may find in there) I discreetly asked the cashier if this would cover her bill and handed her my 20. The lady looked at me, and her eyes started to well up. She said: No, I will put something back..I think I have money in the car… It is ok.

I told her it was fine, I did not mind at all. She could not even talk anymore, she just came to me and gave me a big hug and a thank you…she stammered that she would go to her car and look for money, I told her NO, this is what I want to do today and that I don’t mind. She was in tears. Of course, I am the sissy girl, I cry at everything anyway and seeing her upset made me tear up too. She thanked me again and left the store. I received change from the cashier, and thought for a second that I should also give this to my friend in need…for you should never be left with NO cash. (although I am cashless some of the time)

The cashier told me how nice that was of me, as well as the very patient gentleman behind me. I did not need them to tell me, all I had to do was look into this mother’s eyes and see her thankfulness. kindness

But Karma, my dear friend, I know you were there. I felt you when I left the store, when I loaded all my goodies in the car and when I unloaded them at home. I felt you even more when my oven repair man was actually able to repair my oven that very day. That I did not have to wait on ‘special order’ parts, or even worse, order a new oven. Thank you Karma. You are my bestie. You have made my Thanksgiving.

Who would have imagined that 9.00 could make someone’s day. I would be glad to do it again, and for now on, I will make sure I always have a little bit of cash on hand…you just never know when it can make a difference in someone's day.

30 comments:

  1. And, this in a nutshell, is why I (and SOOO many others!) love you! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You, Suzanne.. You truly have a heart of gold. And your 'Karma' is none other than GOD --smiling down on you my friend.

    Those Random Acts of Kindness mean so much to others (and us). I don't know if I've told you this or not (I may have)--but I really wanted to do something to help someone at Thanksgiving this year. And since none of our kids can join us and since G's parents will be with his sister, we decided to do something really different. SO--we're driving to Kingsport (east of here about 3 hours) --and pick up my friend Reida and taking her out to a Thanksgiving Dinner somewhere. She is single --and lives alone. When I called, she cried --and that of course, made me cry also. This meant so much to her---and it truly blessed me also. We will have a wonderful Thanksgiving --and will be able to share our 'thanks' with someone else --who has no family.

    I'm so proud of you, my friend...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing you did. And I'm sure that when she is able that woman will pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw.. so sweet Suz. Love this story! Glad you could make a stranger's day. I love it when something simple can brighten someone else's day. Love it love it!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are awesome... i think i love you,..
    you had me at hello... i really like you a lot...
    is that a bit much? that is not to weird is it? hey is that a process server at my door? but i love you!!
    silly ass i don't need a restraining order, i can't go to Florida!!

    seriously, you are amazing. have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe God created the circumstance where you and she met in the store 3 times, the last at the register.

    Do you remember the 'fad' of "WWJD" (What would Jesus do) a decade or so back? Anything that could be made with those 4 letters on it was for sale everywhere. Well, what you did at the register is the answer. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning, Suzanne,
    Yes, I'm quite sure that that mom will never forget you and your kindness. We need a lot more people like you in this world.
    And now you have me in tears, too.

    Happy weekend. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story reminds us what Thanksgiving is all about. God put you in line behind her for a reason. May you have a wonderful holiday and I pray that the lady does too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me cry. I think I know you well enough Suz, to say that I know you didn't write this to show how "good" you are or anything like that. Of course I already know the goodness in your heart and where it comes from. The beauty of all of this is the amazing feeling one gets when they do what they are suppose to do,like you did in helping out this woman. You listened and acted and it has blessed you. Amazing. You gave this woman more then a $9 blessing, you gave her something far more valuable that she will one day pass on. Thank you Suz for being you. Thank you for warming my heart this chilly saturday morning. XXOO Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. And this is one of the zillions of reasons why I love my Buzy Bee Suz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some day I'm gonna do a post called "Ten Reasons Why I Love Me a Busy Bee Named Suz".

    I'm not a Karma person, but I do know that the more you give, the more blessings you receive....and boy, doesn't it feel good? I'm sure that lady will never forget you.

    "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brethren, you do it to Me."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I carry a few twenties all the time just in case. What a wonderful thing you did and I'm sure the blessing will return to you many times over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think it is amazing how God finds ways to bless us... right where we are. and how He blessed you... this makes me smile, my lovely friend. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am wiping tears from my keyboard. What a sweetie you are. That women will NEVER forget your random act of kindness and I'm sure one day when she is able wil pay it forward.

    How wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next time I go grocery shopping, I'll make sure I'm in front of you at the cash.

    Just kidding... that was beautiful what you did.

    Karma has given you so much, I'm sure she's happy to see you pass some of it along. I would have had a hard time not doing the same, after all it's just a few dollars but the impact and memory of that moment will last a lifetime for both of you...

    *kudos my dear, well done*

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful blessing you gave! I'm just sure she will 'pay it forward' too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You seem like a very kind person....I can feel it is your blog~ i know this hasn't been the first!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those random acts, even just a friendly smile, go a long, long way in making our world a better place!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really know the true meaning of Thanksgiving. No wonder Karma smiles on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are good people, Suzie. My eyes are a wee bit wet reading this. Good karma is true, no wonder so much of it comes back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made me cry!

    What a beautiful story! YOU ROCK!!!

    I know that you made her day. I promise as she goes to sleep tonight she'll be thinking about your generosity and kidness!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure the feeling of doing something nice for a stranger was well worth that 9 bucks. And she won't soon forget your generosity. The example you set in front of other strangers might make them change their actions in the future too. I totally believe in Karma but it never seems to come around when we expect it but always when we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Soooo sweet ... and I love you, Girlfriend! Have a blessed Thanksgiving. I just know that you will. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man, I teared up at this story too. It's so nice to see that there are kind, caring, and giving people in the world who will step up when it really means something to someone.

    Happy Thanksgiving. You deserve that too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are the kind of person we should all aspire to be. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is so sweet of you, it brought a little tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this...it is so "you." I'm thankful that you have such a beautiful heart, and that you have been given the resources to share. It's a gift to read this, and to know that you did it.
    Remind me someday to tell you the story of what happened in the middle of the night in the hospital, when I was on my way to the ladies' room...this reminds me of it. XO

    ReplyDelete
  28. It does seem like Karma put you and that little mama in the same place that day. The story brings tears to my eyes. I'm glad you were able to help her.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This has to be my most favorite post! That is such a great story and you told it so well. I hardly ever have cash on me..I will have to make a point now of having some!

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.