Pages

November 18, 2009

What do you get when you mix used cards and little kids?

Good Stuff!!!

My Fellow tree hugging friend, Shelley At Building A Log Cabin wrote about this wonderful program at St. Jude’s and in turn, I will share it with you. It is the greenest & sweetest idea I have seen in a long time!

Wondering what to do with all those Christmas cards you receive this year? Don't throw them away! Instead, join me in sending the used card fronts to St. Jude's Ranch!


St. Jude’s Ranch for Children rescues abused, abandoned and neglected children of all races and faiths from the vicious cycle of child abuse. They provide healing and nurturing in a safe home-like environment where children can learn life skills to start new lives with new chances, new choices and new hope.


"The children participate in making the new cards by removing the front and attaching a new back. The result is a beautiful new card made by the children and volunteers. The benefits are two-fold: customers receive "green" holiday cards for use and the children receive payment for their work and learn the benefits and importance of "going green".

Cards may be donated by sending them to:
St. Jude's Ranch for Children
Recycled Card Program
100 St. Jude's Street
Boulder City, NV 89005

Thank you so much Shelley for bringing this to my attention. BTW: They would love any occasion cards…birthday, thank you, Easter, Valentines day, etc…

So, save up a little pile and send them soon! And please, pass the word around, this is so easy to do and makes such an impact!! And, in turn, I will be your best friend. That is priceless.

26 comments:

  1. What a great idea - thank you and Shelley for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this, but I think it is awesome! A friend of mine cuts out pictures from old cards and pieces them together to make holiday placemats. I once started doing that, about six years ago, and they are sitting in the bag I put them in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it....great idea and easy peasy to do for a great cause. Kind of like the pull tabs on soda cans for Ronald McDonald's House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you and Shelley for posting about this, Suz.. It's really a great idea ---and helps the children --and US!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! I am going to do this! Thank you for sharing this Suz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will spread the word in my classroom after the holidays! My parents are all about going "green". I'll just put a little recycling box near the door! :)

    I love things like this!!! :) Thanks for shareing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is great. I never know what to do with them and felt guilty throwing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helping the planet, helping the kids, helping yourself to many blessings as well. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i never heard of this! whatta fantastic idea. i'm sure i have loads of stuff to send. thanks my lil green friend. [and you are not even alien!]. BTW i love st. jude's mission anyways and that is one place i will donate to whenst i win the lottery!


    c

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. thank you for the very kind words about bullies... look what we have overcome! yeah, sistah!

    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea!!! Thanks for posting about it. And thanks for being my new best friend too. It really means alot.

    Your words on my post about Scotty were very kind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! It's great to get the word out, I'll look forward to doing this when I am back in the U.S.

    /fellow tree hugger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our church has done this.
    It's a good thing. Merry Christmas Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you posted this too Suz! I hope we can spread the word! It breaks my heart to think about children who are neglected and abused. And if we're able to help in some small way - then it's worth it!
    Hugs to you!!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! It's nice for the cards and fantabulous for the kids! : )

    I keep my old cards, cut off the fronts and use them for gift tags on bags. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing the address.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheapo dudes like me, um, reuse cards meself....

    ReplyDelete
  19. again... cracking me up. you will be my best friend, huh? how about if i save them, then bring them to your house then you can mail them with yours? then you can be my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a wonderful project. Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a GREAT idea!!! I had never heard of this program before, but in the past I have saved all of my old Christmas cards from the previous years and used the fronts as gift tags the next year. This is a much better program....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yay! I have some that I can send. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh I LOVE this idea! Now I just need to remember it in say, ummmmmmmmmmmmm, January... : ) because you know I am not that brilliant to print this post and put it on the fridge or something right? I mean, would I even see it on the fridge I wonder? I am wasting away since I visit the fridge so seldom... : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. it's a great idea but i think i'll go one step further and just recycle this year's xmas cards by next year sending them BACK to the people who sent them to ME! i'll just add my wishes to theirs. whaddya thinka that one huh? now THAT's recycling admit it!
    :-))

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great project! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.