Pages

October 09, 2018

Racking up those frequent flyer miles. {NZ}

I know I fell off the blog again, but with good reason.

Kelly and I had a fabulous two weeks in New Zealand.
We loved every minute; the people, the wine, the scenery, the sheep, the snow. (I wasn't expecting that!)
We were home for exactly 5 days when we again departed for 7 days in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
Boots, jackets and snow.....right into flip-flops, bathing suits and major heat.

Anyhoo....I'm not complaining.

At least once a day we looked at each other and exclaimed: "We're IN New Zealand!"
Something else we said at least once daily: "I wasn't expecting that".

Let's start with the flying part. I'm not a happy flyer. I generally like to avoid it, but taking a boat to NZ seemed a tad daunting.

We had a short flight out of Fort Lauderdale into Houston...from there we flew Air New Zealand for almost 16 hours into Aukland, NZ. Then another short flight (2 hrs) from Aukland to Queenstown where we would start our trip.

The longest flight actually was better than we expected. (I wasn't expecting that!) We splurged and booked business class on the way over and it was really comfortable. The flight was mostly at night...so they fed us a really nice dinner and after a glass of wine, they turned your seat into a comfy bed. I think I might have slept 7 hours total during the long haul, plus watched a few movies to kill the time. We were able to get up and move about as much as we wanted, so you never felt like a prisoner.



 Flying into Queenstown we had a birds-eye view of the Southern Alps---again, something I'd read about, but didn't know what to expect. Just gorgeous!


We learned that most of NZ is uninhabited; part of it's beauty.


I'm going to do a few posts about our trip there so I can go back and visit myself when I miss it in a minute or two.

I DO hope all my blog friends are well. I'm gonna catch up soon....but first I must unpack and pay bills.

XOXO

5 comments:

  1. ...wowser! For a trip that long they would have to put me out and then try to bring to. Glad that you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow---two completely wonderful and completely different trips.... I'd love to go to New Zealand sometime... I may have told you that my brother and SIL used to travel alot --and New Zealand was one of their all-time favorite places... Can't wait to see more of your pictures...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good trip from the U.S. to N.Z. You were very smart to book business class. The trans-Pacific flights I took (tourist class) seemed to last forever. Your pictures of the mountains from the plane are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia. Thanks for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! What beautiful pictures of the mountains! Breath-taking!

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.