Pages

July 31, 2013

The one where we almost lose our gate, a car and two of my people.

This last weekend as we were driving home from Orlando the Coach mentioned something about wanting to drive his car.  {he hasn't had many opportunities to drive it lately}
Me: I think I'm ready to drive it now. {read: It now has a/c}

It's been over 20 years since I drove a stick shift. And that little Honda that I had was not a 6 speed with  horsepower of any sort.
Guess what? It's like riding a bike.
And I'm pretty damn fantastic on a bike!
I didn't stall out. I didn't run anyone over.
I'm pretty much a professional driver.

LoLo rode in the back seat while I drove and asked 27,000 questions. She has been wanting to learn stick since he purchased this puppy.
They planned to go to an open/empty parking lot the next day, but just for sh*ts and giggles, lets test a little in the driveway.
She was   t  h  i  s  close to slamming into the gate. Coach grabbed the steering wheel.
Ok, maybe I'm being overly dramatic.....but we know that hardly ever happens.

When she got out {unscathed} I asked if she forgot there are NO power brakes?


Lolo: No, it wasn't that. I was so focused on the clutch and the gas, I forgot I was ALSO in charge of the brake!

Oh my. That was a close one.
I'll let you know when she takes it to the streets....that will be a good day to stay inside.


18 comments:

  1. Wow. Close call. And you got it on video! I won't ask what your husband said.

    I learned how to drive on a stick shift. Amazing how it is like riding a bike. My husband says I could drive an 18-wheeler. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video! I hope the doggies were a safe distance away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost couldn't read this just cuz of the title... that gate is DOOMED!!!! DOOMED!!! yes, I said it agai, in case you missed it the first time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunts (age 77 and 73) recently purchased new bicycles. They will beg to differ on whether one can forget how to ride one!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up in Germany, I didn't know anybody that drove an automatic. Everybody drove a stick shift, including me. So, when we bought our first automatic and I drove it for the first time, I went for the clutch - except there wasn't one. I stepped on the break with both feet and nearly send hubby and myself flying through the windshield. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite thing about this video is you LAUGHING at the whole situation. I'm fairly certain I would have been SCREAMING.

    I'm sure in a week or so, LoLo will be an old pro!

    And, yes, it IS like riding a bike. Magnum taught me how to drive stick on his first Mazda, in an empty mall parking lot. That day ended in LOTS of tears, but once I got the hang of it, that was my favorite car to drive! It got a little difficult when I was pregnant, since it was hard to reach the pedals, but the day I gave birth, I drove myself to a dr. appt. in the morning in that car. Good times, good times...

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the sounds of the gear shifting, she didn't pay TOO much attention to the clutch either. :)

    Both my kids first learned to drive with a stick shift. They were amazed when they finally drove an automatic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite part is hearing you laugh (and snort a little?) about it. Learning to drive a stick shift takes practice; I remember my dad yelling in fear at my older sis: "Clutch! CLUTCH! You're going to RUIN THIS CAR!" At least we didn't hear anything like that on your video! Your Coach really IS a good coach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. - did you know that I drove a (stick shift, OLD) school bus for a year? I did - for elementary school kids - and I learned to double-clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I taught my daughter to drive on a stick shift, so you know why I have so little hair left on my head. She did pretty good except for one time when a building jumped out in front of her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone should drive a stick shift!
    But you need to know reverse too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet car! I learned to drive a stick shift on my way home from the car dealership having just bought a car with a stick shift. Poor little honda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what your daughter needs is a nice oval track and ONLY her right foot on the accelerator :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will have to take me for a spin in that when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great car, learning to drive a car for a student is a great challenge:) Regards

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blush...I've forgotten about that little needed part of the car a time or two myself.

    Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dad TRIED to teach me to drive a stick in his VW Beatle, but alas, I am a terrible mess at it, so he gave up while his car was intact. The end. No more sticks for me. I'm glad your gate survived, but I'm glad you could laugh about it even if it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never had any desire to learn to drive stick! I think she did great : ) You guys are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.