Pages

June 04, 2019

Expanding my butterfly business.

Last fall when I was putting in my veggie garden I decided to add in dill and fennel hoping to attract the elusive Swallowtail. I see them randomly in my yard. As in randomly rare. And I love them.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my Fennel plants were 6 feet tall and an absolute mess with no eggs/babies in sight.  *sigh*


I finally went out yesterday and started cutting them down and tossing pieces into my compost bin when I noticed an elusive caterpillar. Thank goodness I don't have neighbors too close because they might have thought I'd lost my mind. I shrieked in delight!
I pulled out all the pieces and then went to the 'still a mess of plants' to discover a plethora of swallowtail caterpillars.

MY DAY WAS MADE!

I ran in and googled How to Raise Swallowtails and voila-I was an instant professional swallowtail mom.

I didn't bring them all inside at first, but later on when I was cleaning up from dinner I could see a male cardinal hopping around my fennel-surely he was feasting on my new babies. I went out and shooed him away and then rescued any I could find. *phew* Damn bird should stick to the feeders I have for he and his family.



I've ordered a much larger tent for them, but for now they're using a smaller monarch tent and some are residing on my craft table. I hope they don't run off before Amazon gets here with their new home.

 

There's quite a variety of swallowtail in SW Florida, but I think these are the Black or Eastern Black flavor. I'll know in a few weeks if my guess is correct or not. Stay tuned.

Not Suz's photography




Have you found anything that made you shriek out loud lately? 






6 comments:

  1. YAY! How fun and exciting. You are a great Mom! Glad you discovered them and protected them from the bird. Keep us posted! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic is that!!! What fun to watch that whole metamorphosis! WOW! Good for you for doing all of that.
    What made me shriek lately? How about gum on a car seat...does that count? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome and interesting...congratulations

    Good that you are protecting them at your best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if your butterfly business is about to become a conglomerate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Amazon more than I should! However it is so convenient when we are looking for any sort of thing - - - even odd things. I do love shopping locally but they need to have what I am looking for in the stores!
    It is fun reading about your butterflies. You are the only person I know who "grows" them - - other than the Chattanooga Aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for you! I'm so glad you wee able to save them. I will look forward to pictures.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.