Pages

June 14, 2017

The Last of the Orangies.


Just a few weeks ago I had to let go of our last kitty.
Harley early 2017

He was doing fairly well considering he's had thyroid issues for at least the last four years and has been on meds 2x daily.
He was 18 years old and had a fairly good life with us. I'm sure if you asked him, he might have a few gruntled comments;  there was never enough tuna on hand, or that the doors going in and out of the lanai could've been opened sooner. You know how cats are.
Harley and his sister Maisy were adopted from the local Humane society when the girls were so young and SO little (1999) and now they're NOT.

Anyhoo....he started acting like life was NOT so much fun one day and we came to realize it might be his kidney's. Of course, the vet wanted to do every test known to man and poke/prod the poor old man, but 'ole Jack Kavorkian (me) wasn't having it. I let him go. As hard as it is, I know it's for the best.

Of course, I cried like a baby. For the last year he was my constant shadow; slept at my feet every single night and followed me around like I might sneeze out tuna at any minute.

***

In my NON posting over the past year I forgot to document that I actually had to put down our youngest cat last February; (2016) Krispy Kitty.
Krispy came to us by accident. Which really, I suppose, is how most cats come to be.

When she came to be ours, we already had the two orange cats. (by the way, I NEVER wanted an orange cat, gray was my favorite flavored cat)

One day when the two original orangies were around five years old  I walked past the front glass doors and saw a cat outside on the porch.
Me: "Who let the darn cat outside?"
I opened the door brought the cat in and then realized it wasn't OUR actual orange cat.
It was an imposter. Or a clone. A kitten clone.
And that imposter lived with us for a good 12-13 years.
Krispy in 2005. Who the heck let her on the counter???
Anyhoo, she was doing fine and then all of sudden wasn't doing so good.
The Vet kept her for a few days to see if they could get her feeling better, but they realized it was her kidneys that were failing. That was so sad because she was still so young. (by cat standards)

We are not going to actively search out for another kitty. I do love them and I love our two old (12 & 10) dogs, but we're hoping to start traveling more in the near future and it's so much easier not worrying about who will tend to the critters.

Have a great day!
XO






10 comments:

  1. Oh Suz! That is so hard. We had to let our little Annabelle go a couple of months ago. Hardest thing I have ever had to decide to do. I bawled like a baby. And continued to cry for two solid weeks. Our hearts turned the corner on grief and we adopted crazy little Dudley. I really should blog about it. It's a wild story. lol He is young and rowdy and completely different. I totally get not wanting more pets though. We thought about waiting..or not get another kitty...but we felt like we needed one again. Now we get black fur all over the place instead of white. Hugs to you, sweet girl. Pet grief is HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry for your loss. It was a joy to know your kitties thru your blog. No matter how long they live, it's never long enough....they give us lots of joy. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a cat who is 18. The vet calls her a '99 model and says they don't see many of those! I keep thinking it is her time for her last visit to the vet but she "keeps on ticking". She is very, very needy and vocal. It is good Bill is home now so she gets the attention she demands.
    Same here with not replacing the ones we have. They have been loved and enjoyed but it is time to focus our attention on us - - - especially since we will soon be at the point it will take all our energy just to keep us going each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that you've lost both of your Orangies -- they were both wonderful companions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning, Suz,
    My heart is breaking for you. Our furry friends are such faithful friends. And I love to read how this kitty was your shadow...following you around the house. He sounds just like my Caliie, so I know how much you miss your Harley. Sending hugs. Take care ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's hard to believe no more kitties! you gave them a good home... i had forgotten that imposter story! i'm sure word on the street was your home was the one to take a chance at. we'll see what happens next! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It'a hard to give them up even when you know it's the right time and the right thing to do. I agree about pets being limiting on what you want to do. My husband would immediately veto a house without a dog, but if something happens to Lucy I would be fine with memories and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gary's cat came to live with us and I am afraid it is nearing death. It is very, very skinny. All it does is hiss and growl. I tell her I love her and try to make her as happy as possible. She is 19 or 20 to the best of our knowledge. Our other cats are pretty young. You know, 8-9ish. So, we will have cats in our life for a while I suppose. I babysat my friend Nanda's dog for a few weeks and the cats are still angry with me. I love cats and dogs too! : ) I love you and your butterflies. Happy Monday to my favorite cucumber grower/ caterpillar saver.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry! I'm not a cat person, but when one itty bitty kitty wandered onto my front porch one morning I couldn't resist. She lived 11 years until dogs ambushed her. I'm still mad at dogs because of that. My dad got rid of his chickens. Now they can travel a little more with us to feed dogs.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.