Pages

March 28, 2011

Remember the *Easter* Lilies; OR not.


Does any flower scream Easter like the Lily?
Well, for me, there is none other.
As a child, going to church with Grandma I vividly remember the Easter lilies all lined up near the pulpit.
I remember reading through the church bulletin during the Easter service about WHO the lilies were for. They were all purchased in memoriam for someone.
I remember seeing that Grandma purchased one for my Grandpa after he died.
I would look towards the pulpit…wondering which one was ‘his’.
Years later, I would read that there was a lily placed in my Brother’s name.
And two Easters later, my Dad was added to the Easter Lilly collection.
Sadly, our family was filling up the lily section.
Cut to a few years ago when Grandma was still alive.
She could no longer get to church during the year, much less on Easter.
Easter morning, the coach and I with the girls loaded up our car and made the hour and forty minute trek to Grandma’s house to celebrate Easter.
I had the biggest whitest lily in the back of the car for Grandma.
When we arrived, she was happy to see us all. She was always happy to see us.
When I handed her the big ol’ white lily…she looked at it, she then looked at me.
I said: Isn’t it beautiful?
She said: Lilies' always remind me of funerals. And they stink. I don’t care for them.
I should have known.
 great grandma[5]
That woman could not filter her thoughts whatsoever.
So now, whenever I see a lily…I remember HER.
And then my thoughts roam to stinky funerals; then back to her and her unfiltered funny as heck self.
Do you remember when she called me a PERVERT?  Gosh…what are the chances of anyone ever calling me that again?
XO,
Suz

21 comments:

  1. Grandmas are magical. Yours was perfect. I am glad you had each other.
    I am glad you have so many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her sass! And I love how she can call you a pervert and get away with it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfiltered funny as heck is right! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole Easter lilies thing was totally new to me. I just found out about it a few years ago when I started working at the MDO program of a church. I have to agree with your grandma here, they smell funny and they remind me of funerals...

    ReplyDelete
  5. BIG HUGS to you...I know how much you miss that unfiltered mouth.

    Seems the older I get the thinner my filter gets. Before long, I will be unfiltered. Heaven help us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scream - now I know where you get your humor! You do have a working filter, though - I can tell from what you say that there is often more that you COULD say than you DO say. So your family filter may be evolving. However, with age, some filters develop huge holes. My MIL's has.
    Love it when you tell stories about your grandma - and love that photo! Great legs!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually did "laugh out loud" when I read what your grandma said about the lilies. Very funny. I know you miss her every day. I always love that pic of her showin' some leg! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suz., the way you're going, I pity your poor grandchildren. But I hope I'm around long enough to read their blogs posts about you. That should be a hoot! m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm personally a little afraid of violent, noisy flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you don't want me to answer that last question, do you?! a person could get in trouble!! i was gonna tell you that you could get an easter lily in her honor at my church.. but then as i kept reading i laughed. you still could... i'd bring it over to you :) glad you are remembering your g'ma with such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hysterical because I've always thought they were funereal-looking too - and their scent is too strong for me. But I've always faked it and never said it out loud. Then I got one for Easter last year - Oy! --- But I still faked it and acted gracious.

    Jeez, now I hope I don't get one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chances are actually pretty good, pervert. :)

    I totally agree with your grandmother about the Lily. I refuse to attend Easter services because the entire sanctuary is filled with them and I feel nauseated in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandmother was a waitress at an Italian restaurant even though she had a heavy Irish brogue.

    She used to bring home pizza. I thought she was amazing and that I was the luckiest kid in the world to have a waitress grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all got to know and love your grandmother thru your blog. She was unique and got away with saying what most of us only dream about!!! This photo makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never, ever forget those memories. They become more precious as time goes by. I hope you remember her with Lilies this Easter!
    And really? The apple never falls far from the Grandapple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suz, I'm crying now. Can't explain why this post hit me the way it has. I guess it was your personal family row of lilies. There was always a lily for each of my deceased PopPops at the Lutheran church when I was growing up.Then after the Easter service we would take them to their graves. I never knew either of them, but was told they were swell gentlemen.

    Your Gram was so funny,but can see where she was coming from. Seems (I'm) loosing more and more people lately and of course,that also puts my own mortality in clear view. Quite frankly,I am looking forward to joining Jesus...would like to see my daughter make me a granny first though! (NO signs of that yet.) Go over to either my FB wall or sidebar on my blog and listen to the Kelly Mack song...Let me know what you think,okay? I just love it. Okay. Gotta go. Hey,congrats on winning at GrandmaJ's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She was such a card. I really think she and Mrs. G's aunt (I don't know if you read her stories or not) would have gotten on like gangbusters--and cracked up everyone in the vicinity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like something my mom would say. Since she left 80 behind, she's totally lost her filter. From her, we hear only the truth, at least as she sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Her sass lives on, honey. ;)

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.