Pages

February 14, 2020

When it came to awkwardness, I was the perfect role model.

I'm still a sick puppy, but I'm almost seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The fever is gone but I feel like the cough will be with me until 2021. 
This is an old post that really sums up Suz from the age of 6 to 17; nothing went as planned and I couldn't ever just be the cool chick. 


It was going to be a big day for me; my graduation from 7th grade. 
Next year, I would be in high school with the big fish.
I was done with my awkwardness, I was going to emerge a beautiful butterfly.
I decided to take my time and beautify myself before the graduation ceremony. I ran the bath and I even added some of the Jean Nate’ bath oil that my Grandma loved so much.
I soaked. I soaked. And then I soaked some more.
Finally, it was time to dress and dry my hair. No time to lose now Suz.
I dressed in my new terry cloth striped dress; it was so pretty AND fashionable. 
A few spritzes of my Loves Baby Soft around my neck and wrist; I am really something. 
I got out the blow dryer and my round brush; watch out Farah Fawcett. 
I dried.
I dried.
WTF?
I dried.
I dried some more. 
My hair was not really drying.
So then I got out my fancy-dancy curling iron.
My hair still seemed kind of wet; oily. 
What the heck kind of negative hair magic was happening?
It was go-time now; greased lightning we've got to head out the door.  

suz 7th grade

Apparently you should not soak your hair in Jean Nate’ bath oil. 
Something I wish my Mom had told me. 
Greasy gross mess.
And for me, this really was just the beginning of my awkward years…things would get much worse before they got better.

You know how on Facebook you can leave a comment with a picture? I wish Blogger would let ya'll do that here so we can compare awkward teenage pictures. 
Happy Valentine's day. XO

13 comments:

  1. I think it's cute! I remember that hair style, so awkward to curl but everyone was wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great "back in the day" style! And you are cute no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Jean Nate but I never tried it on my hair. Hahaha. Weren't we all awkward at that stage. I look back and yes I was awkward but not half as much as I felt like I was. As you say, we wanted so much to be cool and, in our own eyes, we could never match up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness we all grew out of that awkward stage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, was that picture THE picture of the hair? It looks great! Well, I can say that because, judging from that picture, you and I are almost exactly the same age. And that was what hair was SUPPOSED to look like back then.

    Jean Nate......I can still smell it. And feel it. Greasy memories. Ahh.

    I'm glad you're feeling better, though. And yes, the cough will last until 2021. JUST KIDDING.

    March. You should be done by March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I love this post because it brings back so many memories! My mom had every Jean Nate item ever made....I can still see the little round container of powder sitting on the bathroom sink with her cigarette burning on the counter allowing her ashes to fall into the sink and it would leave an orange tobacco stain behind...if it wasn't Jean Nate it was Mary Kay haha
    I remember the summer before going into 9th grade...me and my best friend were going to make ourselves over for high school...I remember studying all the fall looks in Teen and 17 magazine and remember this jumbo eyeliner of navy blue on one end and sparkly pink on the other which I wore...hottie haha
    By the way you were and still are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny story. My grandma always used Jean Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did high school start for you after 7th grade? Was high school 5 years? Were you just advanced? Oh my gosh, look how cute you are! Hilarious that you could not get your hair to dry. It does not look greasy. I wish I could share a photo here because you would feel totally hip in comparison. My mom cut my hair, so I had boy hair. It started out as an authentic Dorothy Hamel cut at a salon and then my mom got out ger flat edged razor blade and it was all 'What gender are you?' after that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you looked very cute in spite of what happened with your hair. I hope you keep feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jean Nate bath oil! Love's Baby Soft! Does that ever bring back memories. Your hair looks super cute to me, you can't even tell it's Jean Nate-soaked :) Very very cute! When I was in grade 7 it was starting to be the height of the super teased straight up bangs, and then in grade 8 I had a spiral perm and...well. It was awkward, but I guess we are all awkward at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed you knew how to use a curling iron in 7th grade! I was still wearing mine straight. I think it was 9th grade before I got my hair cut in a pageboy/flip style. It could be either depending on which way you combed it. I used hot curlers for it.
    Your hair looks fabulous in the picture - - it really does!
    Junior high/middle school was the worst for most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're all too kind. I was a little hot mess. And the hair was really oily and I don't think there was much 'movement' to it either. If only I had known to shampoo, shampoo, shampoo after the oil slick happened.
    Ernie-where I was living at the time, in the outskirts of Atlanta, elementary school was from Kindergarten to 7th grade, then high school was 8th-12th.
    Talk about horrible. 13&14 years old and in high school with 18-year-olds! Children with adults!! Plus, I'm not kidding when I say I was the smallest person; very short and very skinny, just tiny. The summer after this picture my Grandma took me to her neighbor "bev" who was a barber and gave me a boy haircut....I'll have to find the pic of my 8th-grade year. Ughhh.
    I'm happy to say I (we) all survived those years.

    Lynda-what can I say, but I was a future cosmetologist using my wand and dryer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We all endured moments just like that and worse. It's all a part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.