Pages

June 07, 2010

My *Short* Career ‘Under The Big Top’

 

My friend Mildred wrote recently about a large tree located at her childhood home. She mentioned how her Dad made a swing for her and she spent countless hours on that swing watching the clouds take on shapes.

Isn’t that a dreamy sight to imagine? Nothing to do, but watch the clouds? 

*taking a few minutes to daydream*

Ok, I am back.

Mildred’s post made me think of the large tree in the backyard of my childhood home.  It was a great climbing tree, which also meant it was a good ‘falling out of’ tree as well.

I recall one specific day (after recently visiting the circus) that my brother thought I would make a great trapeze artist.

scan0003 (2)

It made sense to me too. After all, I was small, bendy and easily persuaded.

I recall the rope in the tree and Mark hoisting me up; my string bean arms reaching out to it.

I held on to the short end of the rope, while Mark had the long end…and he began to spin me.

3962743952_ca02dfb44c_b

I spun in a circle one time, lost my grip and proceeded to land on the large roots at the base of the tree.

I immediately had bright red blood bruises up and down a thigh.  

Pfffffftttt.

My trapeze career was short lived.

I am thankful I stood my ground and I did not try this as Mark had  originally planned, with me holding the rope by my teeth.  

You can see that HE was the adventurous one in the family, as long as the adventures involved ME.   

 

*I found an ariel view of our old house on Google earth..and that big ol’ tree is still there!*

 

Trapeze photo borrowed from:  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/3962743952_ca02dfb44c_b.jpg

22 comments:

  1. one time my cousin and i made 'wings' out of paper and sticks we were going to fly off the roof of the house, i ended up going one step down to the shed, it was still about 5 feet off the ground or so. i jumped, skinned my knee and didn't fly. he broke his leg...oops, kids what can you say!! i thought he was the lucky one cause he got a cool cast to write on and all i got was a dumb old scab

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I wish I had a tree like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never knew! and you know how much i love the circus :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't older siblings "helpful?" Especially at mixing it up, when things become too quiet at home.
    I'm glad you survived that circus event - and you even gained wisdom from it. BTW, you were the cutest little, tiny girl! Adorable, then & now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother was exactly the same, always thinking of some adventure for ME to try first. Love those memories of our own climbing tree. I'm going to search to see if it's still there. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how he came up with the idea for YOU to do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he played you for the clown. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trees and children...such things are memories made of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Well-----Sorry the career under the Big Top was short-lived, Suz... Glad you weren't hurt though when you fell... Bet that is not the only time you got bruises I'll bet when playing with Mark!!!!!! What else did he convince you to do while you two were growing up??????????? Bet this one will make you THINK.... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh. That is SO funny : )
    For me. To read. I am sure it was not funny for you to experience : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Older brothers are good at these adventure ideas, aren't they? I'm sure glad you still have all your teeth! That is such a sweet photo of you two. I'm just wondering what your brother had in the bag.....a frog sandwich perhaps???

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your brother look cute together, but it's not so good when the gullible little sister gets hoodwinked into trying circus acrobatics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet Mark led you on several wonderful adventures. Isn't Google Earth fascinating?

    ReplyDelete
  14. He wanted you to use your teeth? Such a typical brother. They use their little siblings for their own entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! Big brothers just express their love, er, differently! LOL!

    Seriously though, that is one CUTE photo- stole my heart! Not the trapeze one - sheesh. That just scares me. Heights, brrrr!

    I love big magestic trees...

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my it IS a good thing you didnt hang by your teeth or you might be living with caps today!!!!!

    your silly brother....

    sounds like it was fun, though..

    c

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a hoot, Suz! And how cute is that vintage photo of the two of you???!!!

    Older brothers, wielded all kinds of power, didn't they??!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ....and yet that horrible bruise left you with a fantastic memory. Isn't amazing that we all survived childhood! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh boy do I have a visual of you flying through the air! I had a big brother too, and the memories are great even if I thought he was out to do me in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were such a cutie patootie Suz - but I can see you were full of the dickens even at a young age! Glad you didn't break any body parts on your short lived circus trapeze act! (I did jump w/ a sheet off our garage roof. Got skinned knees and grounded by my mother for a week who said that was the closest I came to giving her a heart attack!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. google earth shows our current house with a car we havent had for yesrs in the drive- weird

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy cow! I can see the whole scenario now. Sweet little Suz dutifully following big brother's instructions. Ahhh the blissfull thoughts of flying through the air! Oh well...at least you won't regret not giving it a try!!hehe.

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.