Pages

March 02, 2015

The upside of the {bad, dirty, no good} downside




Thank you all for your kind comments, emails and Facebook messages regarding our Ozzie. Making that decision was one of the hardest things I've had to do, but I know it was the right thing to do. 
Although our hearts were hurting, we were so thankful for the almost 7 years of him being a part of our family.  That was Monday.


Maisy and Ozzie napping on our leather sectional pet bed. Circa 2014 
On Tuesday I took Maisy {I refer to her as the 'crotchety' one}  to the vet because she wasn't looking so great and the Dr. confirmed my fears; she was in kidney failure.
Again, I had to make that oh-so-difficult decision to let her go. The vet thought we could 'try' some things that all required her being poked and prodded. 
The cat was not happy about it and since I know her well, I knew she'd rather NOT do any of that. 
The upside? She came to us via the humane society and she had a great life for almost 17 years. 
 Wednesday, my eyes were still swollen from all the tears, but the Coach and I decided to go and watch the college basketball game at the girls' school. As we were walking into the game, we got a call from Linds; she was off campus and had been in a car accident. She was fine, but her car was not. Being 19 and alone, she was hysterical too. 
The upside? No one was hurt, we have car insurance and we were so close by. 
 But the other downside of this? Since she is only 19, we were not able to rent a car for her while her car is being repaired. Back up plan: Coach's big Blue truck that he is going to restore in the future. 
It was comical checking to see if Linds could actually drive this; she's never driven a car that didn't have the drive/park shift on the console. 
She looked at the gear on the dash and asked: What's this??
She turned into a retro-redneck girl in a matter of minutes. 

The Wednesday prior, Lolo's beloved chameleon Zim passed away. Talking about being sad....she and I were both a mess. I fell in love with that cute little 'grouchy cat' looking lizard. 
Taking care of chameleons isn't easy, and females are even more difficult because they need to lay eggs. {even without a beau}


A few days after that though, a good friend of ours contacted us to say he had 'rescued' a chameleon. 
Lolo thought about it for a day {a big commitment} and decided to take him in. Meet Walter:
 See, another upside. Walter is a cutie pie...well, you know, if you're into that sort of thing. 

 We had a lovely weekend with friends who visited and I had a nice long therapy session on Sunday in my garden. 
I hope you are all doing well, feeling healthy and finding the upside in everything. 





21 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how difficult these losses are for you guys. Through blogging, you and your family and pets have become a part of our lives, as well. Very thankful that Linds is safe and sound. Welcome Walter to your new home - can't wait to read more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad time for your family. Things always happen in "clusters" around our house too. It is "all or nothing" at times. I have to say Walter is pretty cute. Never thought about having one for a pet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you've had ALL of this at the same time. But hopefully you're on the upswing with Walter coming into your lives. Hugs and love, friend. It's never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so glad i finally got to hug you saturday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Maisy. I think she would prefer to go with dignity than be poked and stuck every day. Glad you had good therapy time in the garden. Better times are ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a week to remember (FORGET) like we did (in a much different way)... I can only imagine how hard that week was on you and the family.... I'm so sorry for all of your losses and problems. But--you are like me. You see the blessings in everything. You will keep Ozzie and Maisy alive in your hearts forever... AND thank goodness that Linds wasn't hurt... Glad Lolo got a new 'pet'.....

    God Bless ALL of You.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you had 3 animal/family member losses at once! and one wounded vehicle, too! yikes! so very sorry, but i hope your string is over with and all will be well and happy for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief! Hopefully this new week and new month will bring much happiness, joy, and laughter. You guys need it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Suse, you are going through the wringer aren't you.Losing two (three) pals all within days of each other and then a child in a car accident! I'm so sorry for your losses. I really am. So glad your daughter is fine.
    Take care kiddo, it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no. You all got slammed this past month. I hope that March is a much, much, MUCH better month for you all. I'm sorry you had so many losses. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness!!!! Suz! I've been out of the loop with the move and I'm just undigging today and come upon this post! While I'm touched by all of your "upsides", my friend, my heart is so heavy for all of your sadness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness Suz.... I can't believe all of that happened in such a short time period. First off, I am so glad Linds didn't get hurt! That must have been so scary for you all. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to several pets, what a hard week for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for you losses :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. When it rains it pours, huh? It's good that you're seeing the silver lining in all the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my lord, a bit of a bad stretch? Here's hoping things start to look up. Thank goodness your daughter wasn't hurt, and...I bet she loves that truck. I would.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Lord, Suz, I don't even know what to say. I'm so very sorry for all the loss you and your family have been experiencing lately. And, I'm also sorry about the car, but I thank God Linds is ok. I'm sending you love, hugs and prayers!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope all your weeks in the future have many more upsides than downsides. You definitely do NOT need another week like this. I'm glad you were able to get some therapy in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW. THAT was a week...so sorry for all your news, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so sorry for your loss. blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my holy hell been thinking about my old blogging buddies and thought I would check in. So sorry to hear of your losses and sadness, but as usual you see the sunshine in the sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When it rains, it pours! I'm so sorry to hear about all of these hard times; you and your tribe deserve a break, and I pray that it comes rapidly and stays. Thank God no one was hurt in that accident! I'm happy for you, about the new reptile in your house...I think? Please give Cocoa a hug from me. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

You read it, now share your thoughts.